[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week Oct. 26: Choices

Andrea Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:03:30 EDT 2009

Since we're on the subject already, sort of... I'm pretty sure many of
us have had fabulous ideas that you haven't implemented because of
legal or ethical considerations. Anyone care to share those ideas and
the thought process that led you to ultimately axing them?

My example: for Routes, we wanted to send actors playing the role of
lawyers or policemen on behalf of a big pharmaceutical company to
knock on players' doors and deliver them with mocked-up C&D papers. We
ultimately decided this wouldn't be the right thing to do. One big
issue was the age group we were creating for -- if a teen player's
parents answered the door, it might put the player in a difficult
position, because as with Toyota, the player had opted in but the
parents hadn't. And "But mom, it's for a game" isn't very convincing,
is it?

(Kim, care to weigh in more on the specifics of that particular decision?)

So tell me, sirs and mesdames, where have you chosen to pull your punches?

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.aaphillips.com