[arg_discuss] Deception and what it means to be Real

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Thu Jun 25 09:18:21 EDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 4:15 AM, Markus Montola wrote:

> I think it's interesting to see people trying to build a kind of an

> inverse magic circle here. ARGs span everywhere and play with

> deception and fabrication everywhere, but there is a problem if

> someone brings the deception on the home ground of the deception

> afficionados.

> I mean -- is it morally and ethically acceptable to have a game

> character create a Facebook presence? As I have understood, that is

> against the TOS/EULA of Facebook. If yes, why are the Unfiction

> terms of service more significant? Why is Unfiction's "Forums are

> out of game -- no exceptions" any more forceful statement than "This

> is not a game"?

> The Swedes at The Company P have the habit of occasionally being/

> playing game characters themselves. I mean, for example, that Martin

> Ericsson showed up in the final event of Sanningen om Marika *as

> himself*, except that like all the players, he was following the

> game's central theme "Play as if it was real". Besides, what's a

> "real persona" anyway in a nickname community? You can't base trust

> on realness, since realness does not exist.

The thing is.... statements such as "This is not a game" and "Play as
if it was real" imply that there is, in fact, a game or something to
play. Over the course of five months, Martin Aggett never implied that
he was a part of a larger fiction - no wink or nod. in fact, if the
person behind him hadn't started feeling guilty about the whole thing,
it could have gone on for another year before there was any hint that
he might be a part of a larger fiction.

So, how do you play along with something when you don't have any clue
that there is something to play along with?

That is where deception comes in to play. You may say that the ARG
community is "the home ground of the deception afficionados" but the
reality is that the ARG community is, more, the home ground of people
that want to play as if things were real. They don't want to be
deceived anymore than the average person wants to be deceived: they
want to play along.

Even in the movie The Game, the character was aware of the game's
presence. And that awareness drove his actions. It was still very much
"real" to him -- so much so that he attempted to kill himself which,
well, was part of the game. It still had that nice "mindfuck" factor
that many who advocate extreme blurring of the lines seem to be
looking for. But he still knew it was just a game. There was still
something for him to play and/or play along with.

As for how we can trust anything in this world where we are all just
personas... well, I would argue that there's a difference between a
persona and a character. You might think it's just semantics and,
perhaps, you would be right.

A persona, though, is nothing more than a public front. Britney
Spears, for example, may be a complete mess in her real life but on
the stage she is a well put together and choreographed act. That is
her persona. She is not a character, however, as characters are a part
of a fictional world - no matter how based in reality that world may be.

A persona, because it is just a public front, can have intent and free
will in the real world. A character, because it knows nothing more
than it's fictional world, does not have free will and cannot have
intent outside of its fictional universe. Oh, sure, the author of the
character may have intent for the character that is very much in the
real world space - they may intend for the character to tug at
someone's heartstrings or guide them through the story, but that is
the author's intent and not the character's. The character's intent is
just to find her missing friend or bring down the evil corporation.

It is in understanding that intent that we know how to interact with
one another. Assume, for a second, that we're little wolf cubs. We do
the cute little baby animal thing and fight back and forth. We scratch
and nip at each other and it's all good fun because we know that none
of us really means to hurt the other. Now, suddenly, you decide it
would be much more fun to play for real - you bite me, for real. After
my initial shock - ouch! you jerk! you bit me! - I know that your
intent is not to just play but to fight. My reaction could be to run
away and lick my wounds or it could be to come at you with full force.
The intent changed and so did our relationship and our interactions.

When interacting with a persona online, I am aware that their intent
is based in the real world and that there is a real person behind it.
I treat it as such and interact as such. If, however, I am exploring
something that I think may be a game, my interactions are a bit
different - I may "play as if it was real" but I am still playing.
What happened in the case of Martin Aggett is that I was deceived into
becoming a part of a game that I did not know even existed and,
therefore, I had no way of actually playing let alone playing as if it
was real.