[arg_discuss] Deception and what it means to be Real

Jeromy Barber jeromy at 12thstreethouse.com
Thu Jun 25 10:23:33 EDT 2009

I've been hesitant to respond to this situation because I'm not terribly
active at unfiction, did not know Martin Aggett, and felt this probably
wasn't my business.

However, I'm going to chime in anyway. :)

It's clear that a lot of folks have been wounded and feel as though they've
been tricked. However, from the outside looking in, it looks like these
kinds of things would be expected in/from this community.

I produce a small game called Maddison Atkins, and to varying degrees,
people create false identities on the website (which is clearly an OOG
area.) As long as they aren't hurting themselves, others or the game, I let
it go. I've concluded that it comes with the territory of producing an ARG
and that the players can navigate who they trust and who they don't trust.

The Martin Aggett is definitely an extreme scenario. There are complexities
that both sides of this issue have to offer, so it does stir up some
interesting conversation. It's one of those conflicts where it's a real big
deal and not a real big deal all at the same time.

I'm under the thumb of some tough deadlines, so I apologize for not
explaining further.

Jeromy