[arg_discuss] Deception and what it means to be Real

Markus Montola markus.montola at uta.fi
Thu Jun 25 04:15:46 EDT 2009

Two more cents on this discussion, now that I finally catched up with
the discussion.

I think it's interesting to see people trying to build a kind of an
inverse magic circle here. ARGs span everywhere and play with deception
and fabrication everywhere, but there is a problem if someone brings the
deception on the home ground of the deception afficionados.

I mean -- is it morally and ethically acceptable to have a game
character create a Facebook presence? As I have understood, that is
against the TOS/EULA of Facebook. If yes, why are the Unfiction terms of
service more significant? Why is Unfiction's "Forums are out of game --
no exceptions" any more forceful statement than "This is not a game"?

The Swedes at The Company P have the habit of occasionally being/playing
game characters themselves. I mean, for example, that Martin Ericsson
showed up in the final event of Sanningen om Marika *as himself*, except
that like all the players, he was following the game's central theme
"Play as if it was real". Besides, what's a "real persona" anyway in a
nickname community? You can't base trust on realness, since realness
does not exist.

This will happen again and again. It's the property of the medium. It
may be considered bad puppetmastering, but if other venues can be
appropriated, why not the behind-the-scenes as well?

My take is that I'm surprised that anyone in the ARG community is
surprised: This is exactly the sort of internet literacy things I have
thought ARGs would teach their players.

Nothing is real. Everything is real. You will never know, and still
don't. It's all just words. Words are not just words.

Best,

- Markus