[arg_discuss] Introductory post - Bonjour IGDA ARG SIG !

Thomas Maillioux thomas.maillioux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:11:12 EDT 2009

Hello everyone !

I've been reading the archives of this list on and off but have been holding
off joining until I'd feel I had something significant to add to the
conversations, which I think might finally be the case ! And now it's time
to introduce myself officially.

My name's Tom Maillioux and alongside with working as a teacher-librarian,
I've been playing a variety of games - spanning over Alternate and
Not-So-Alternate Realities - and was invited to join aboard the Operation :
Sleeper Cell ship one year ago. The few months of hard work that goes into
organizing a game such as this one gave me a taste of how complicated,
challenging and fascinating the process of getting people from very
different fields to work together can be, and after this experience I
started looking more seriously at what games and innovative programs
centered on "serious gaming" and hacking everyday life objects to bring to a
sometimes all-too-absent "wow factor" back to school

But the project most related to this list for me these days is "Fais-moi
Jouer !", a website my partner in crime Julien Aubert and I have been
working for the last few months now, trying to put together and update as
often as possible a website dedicated to Alternate Reality Games and gaming
experiments for the French-speaking audience. We've done our best to keep
our readers updated with news on a variety of subjects from the latest games
and festivals to offering interviews of designers as well as trying to
retrace the steps of the "culture" of ARGs as it emerged. There is lots,
lots of work to do not only to develop the French audience's awareness but
also reach out to communities and persons that would be interested in this
new way to interact with a new to experience - and tell one's own - stories.

I'm looking forward to participating to the discussions in this group and
hopefully do what we can to help spread Alternate Reality Games and all they
have to bring in terms of gameplay storytelling and Barney Stinson-levels of
awesomeness across the world, French-speaking or otherwise.

I'm looking forward to meeting/chatting/exchanging ideas with all of you as
soon as possible !

T.
---
http://www.faismoijouer.com