[arg_discuss] screenwriting software ARG enabled

Andrea Phillips deusexmachinatio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 10:58:41 EDT 2009

I'm very, very pleased with Scrivener as a writing application. Can't
praise it enough. It's for the Mac, though. For Windows, the makers of
Scrivener recommend PageFour, but have a nice set of links describing
various competing writing/screenwriting apps for Mac and Windows here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/links.html

That said, the way I tend to actually work with a team is this: I have
a spec doc in Word with a basic narrative flow in it, an Excel sheet
that shows the expected timeline per character, and a separate
breakdown in Word for each challenge and live event specifying the
technical build, resources required, schedules, etc. I've generally
written scripts, blog posts, and other similar material piecemeal, as
it was needed, and each in their own document, be that in Word or in a
wiki or Bascamp. (Or in same cases, written right into the CMS and
then pasted right into an IM session before hitting submit.) Word
isn't the most groovetastic piece of software around, but at least you
know most everyone will be able to open your documents.

I think this is a very YMMV thing, though. Tastes vary.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Julien FMJ<julien at faismoijouer.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

> I'd like to ask you a question that's torturing me since I'm interested in

> designing ARG. I always wondered if there were screenwriting softwares that

> fit better the transmedia problematic than softwares made for traditionnal

> linear stories.

> I'm thinking about a soft that would allow me to create a linear stories,

> then cut it into components, then drag and drop it into timelines (there

> would be timelines for each media developped). For now I use the basic iWork

> suite.

> In the past I used Celtx <http://www.celtx.com> that allow you to

> collaborate with other people around traditional screen play, storyboard and

> character description. Some friends of mine advised me Final

> Draft<%20http://www.finaldraft.com>.

> I found the three following services : five

> prockets<http://www.fivesprockets.com/fs-portal/>,

> Novamind <http://www.novamind.com> and Storyist<%20http://www.storyist.com/>

> .

> I guess there is no easy way to build the structure of an ARG but anyway I

> wonder if you have examples of schemas, tables or tools that helped design

> the architecture of ARGs.

> Thank you in advance ;)

> ---------

> julien aubert