[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 27: Education

Sjoerd Wennekes sjoerdwennekes at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 27 10:54:55 EDT 2009

First thought is of course: a game study ;-)
There are a lot of (art)schools and universities who educate in game development.
Although I think that Universities are maybe a bit too theoretic on the subject.
Last year I graduated from art school, where I studied 'Design for Virtual Theatre and Games'
We had our fair share of ARG's there. On of the graduation project was an ARG about 'trash island', the big island of plastic waste that is forming in the Atlantic ocean. We also had classes in rule design (not only ARG's of course), Urban games, flasmobs and other ARG related subjects.

Because ARG's have a different kind of rule-set than other games, most of the time they also include some kind of 'real life' performance, I really recommend this study. Beside games, theatre is also a big part of the curriculum.

Maybe one downside, the study is given in The Netherlands. At the art school in Utrecht.
For everybody who doesn't live in The Netherlands (or doesn't want to go there), find the equivalent in your own country.

Greets
Sjoerd