[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 27: Education

Naomi Alderman naomi.alderman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 12:01:45 EDT 2009

The best thing I ever did was to read, play and DM a lot of RPGs. I think
they're the closest tabletop model to the ARG experience - creating a
narrative, characters and a set of puzzles in advance, but leaving enough
flexibility in the system to allow your players to have a real influence on
events in ways which can't necessarily be predicted.

There are a lot of role-specific skills, of course (writers need to practice
writing, designers need to learn design), but I think the flexibility and
ability to think on your feet you learn from RPGs will serve you well
working on an ARG in any capacity.

- Naomi

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Andrea Phillips <deusexmachinatio at gmail.com