[arg_discuss] TOW: almost 8 years after the Beast, which is your favourite ARG and why?

Andrea A. Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 13:01:06 EST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Brooke Thompson wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Andrea A. Phillips wrote:

>> But myy accusation of wankery really revolves more around the stuff

>> like, "Well, but was (X) an ARG? Should (Y) be considered the first

>> ARG?" Where X and Y are usually things that hit some of those

>> criteria I pulled out of thin air, but not all of them. It reaches

>> a kind of strange reductive point where people can bring out an

>> example of anything that meets one or two of those elements -

>> epistolary novels and MUDs very often -- and say "Well, but then

>> was THIS an ARG?"

> As I was the only person to make such statements yesterday, then I

> guess, I'm the wanker. I have no problem with that.

It bears pointing out, Brooke, that out of all of us... I'm the one
who spent four hours making charts and writing up a post on the
topic. ;) And I don't refer to the conversation of yesterday *in
specific.* This is just the latest iteration of a well-worn
conversation.

> It's an extremely helpful exercise if you look at as more than just

> wankery.

*Cutting lots of v. good points about learning stuff.*

Yeah, the conversation often winds up shining light on some really
interesting corners. No disagreement from this quarter. But we could
just as easily frame it as "Hey, what are some interesting antecedents
to ARGs?" and come up with similar results, without even bringing up
what bucket any of it fits into.