[arg_discuss] TOW: almost 8 years after the Beast, which is your favourite ARG and why?

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Wed Jan 14 13:33:37 EST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Andrea A. Phillips wrote:

> Yeah, the conversation often winds up shining light on some really

> interesting corners. No disagreement from this quarter. But we could

> just as easily frame it as "Hey, what are some interesting

> antecedents to ARGs?" and come up with similar results, without even

> bringing up what bucket any of it fits into.

I, slightly, disagree. I think when you ask "what was the first arg"
you learn not only what the person thinks might be the first ARG (or
what they're willing to argue for that day), but also what specific
components they're looking at to define "ARG" as well as how broadly
and narrowly they define it.

For example, the broadest answers when I asked this yesterday were
"when the first caveman told his first story" (obviously story must be
the important draw to the two people that gave this answer) and "when
Thespis stepped out of the chorus and did his own thang" (they
expanded by saying that it was "certainly an innovative way to tell an
immersive narrative" - so we've got innovation, immersion, and
narrative from their answer). Now, if you asked about antecedents,
those same broad answers may have come up, but without the primary
assumption of "first ARG" which may give you a lot of great answers
but it won't give you as much of a clue as to what they're looking at
as a primary element.

Another person said "Lockjaw - that's when the phrase was coined" -
the last time I had this discussion with them, they argued, fairly
persuasively, for The Cottingley Fairy hoax. So, yesterday's answer
showed an unwillingness to define things, even though they definitely
have an answer. This shows the trend of not wanting to define the
genre. If I had asked for antecedents, I'd have definitely gotten The
Cottingley Fairies (and who knows what else) which wouldn't show the
unwillingness to define (or, maybe, a desire to use the definition
only for experiences after the term was coined).