[arg_discuss] TOW: almost 8 years after the Beast, which is your favourite ARG and why?

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Tue Jan 13 20:50:43 EST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Dan Hon wrote:

and

On 13 Jan 2009, at 21:59, Brian Clark wrote

A whole bunch of stuff that I agree with.

However, I also think that you're looking at it with more of an agency
eye. Lately, the majority of assumptions that I'm getting are not
"evil viral marketing" or "Dark Knight/Year Zero/I love Bees" but
revolve around urban play. I assume that's because I've been talking
to people more about urban play, mobile, and installation pieces than
I have been about online marketing experiences.

So, my question is, I guess, if we're in agreement that there's a heck
of a lot more to ARGs than marketing and 42e-type experiences - and
those are things that we're feeling drawn to play with, doesn't it
behoove us to use the term in order to make it more clear what an ARG
is? Or, do we just have to keep coming up with new meaningless phrases
that we pretend have more meaning because it has more adequate
descriptors in it, unless we just fall back on "ARG-like"

I mean there's a heck of a lot more to ARGs than promotional work that
includes an asian girl calling out for help to solve some cryptic
mystery with esoteric puzzles ... and I don't think that makes them
"ARG-like".