[arg_discuss] TOW: almost 8 years after the Beast, which is your favourite ARG and why?

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Wed Jan 14 13:15:54 EST 2009

Hmm. Perhaps there's been some misunderstanding here. It's not that
I'm not interested in backing up my statements, I just feel like other
people have much more useful ideas to contribute. I'm in sponge-mode,
and don't feel like my half-thought-out-ideas would really contribute
anything useful to the conversation.

For one thing, I don't even think of The Beast as a great ARG. I think
of it as an important one, but not a great one. In fact, I'm not sure
anyone - including myself - has yet created a great ARG. While some
people are saying they're post-ARG or that ARGs are dead, I'm sitting
here feeling like the art form has just barely begun to be born, and
our greatness is yet to come.

In my opinion, we won't see a truly great ARG for another ten years or
so, as the kids who can't imagine a world without the Internet get
into their 20's.

This doesn't mean I'm going to give up and not even try. I'm going to
do my best to push the medium in all the weird directions I think it
can go, just to see what greatness can be uncovered. I'm loving being
a part of an emerging artform.

But this seems to be completely upside down and backwards from what
everyone else on this list is saying. So I just don't know what I have
to contribute to the conversation.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com