[arg_discuss] Ads in Augmented Reality Raise Warning Flags

John Willoughby john at savix.net
Mon Dec 28 14:17:56 EST 2009

My thoughts: first of all, AR is not at all the same as ARG - although you
can certainly employ AR in an ARG but it's just a communication medium like
email only whizzy-er. So no I don't believe the success or failure of AR
will have any impact on ARGs.

Second, I have infinite respect for consumers to direct product success in
their direction. If this really pisses off consumers, it will be Britekite's
demise, not the demise of AR as a whole. Unless people simply don't take to
AR in general, but that seems unlikely.

Unless Britekite is run by morons (and stranger things have happened in
business) if there is enough negative consumer feedback they will back off
first. I appreciate that the revenue from all those impressions is a tasty
morsel to let go of, but if you lose your customer base it's a moot point.

Seriously - a search for Pizza will point out a BestBuy? Boy, they'd better
start adding cafes fast! That's really funny. Someone's greed overcame their
common sense.