[arg_discuss] Ads in Augmented Reality Raise Warning Flags

Nina the slackmistress slackmistress at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 14:02:06 EST 2009

I think when it's something that doesn't make sense to the world (if they're
looking up pizza, but instead you get Best Buy locations) it obviously can
quash some interest. But I also think those who are interested in AR or ARGs
can discern the difference (meaning those who are using this sort of app)
between a subtle approach to advertising within the worlds to a
one-size-fits all approach - sort of how some branded shows work with their
sponsors to seamlessly integrate, and some are just HERE IS PRODUCT
PLACEMENT even though it makes to sense in the narrative and takes you out
of that world.

We went through this a bit with the Valemont ARG (the show, and the ARG,
sponsored by Verizon.) When you turned on the phone that was on our
Valemontu.com website (which was the core of our ARG) the first thing you
saw was a Verizon splash screen. However, as a Verizon customer, the first
thing I see when I turn on my actual phone is...a Verizon splash screen. So
it was obvious advertising, but it wasn't intrusive because, well, that
actually happens with pretty much all cell phone service.

Of course, if this initiative doesn't work for Best Buy, then they may be
loathe to spend their ad dollars that way again, but I think it's great that
big companies are taking an interest and wanting to place their ad dollars
is a positive sign. (But maybe I'm overly optimistic.)

Cheers,
Nina

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Sheri Rubin <sheri at designdirectdeliver.com