[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week Aug. 17: Ghost Players

Steve Peters scpeters at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:29:16 EDT 2009

I really agree with this. Those of you who know me hopefully know that I'd
rather cut off a limb than have someone post a nudge in any player space,
posing as another player.

It potentially robs a player of the absolute thrill of solving something for
everyone. Plus, it makes no sense to me. It's like planning an elaborate
surprise birthday party for someone, and then, when you're outside your
apartment door, you just can't contain yourself any longer and tell them
that there's a huge party on the other side of the door waiting for them. I
mean, if you're gonna go to all the trouble of planning the surprise, why on
earth would you ruin the surprise for them???

If they're stuck, solve it on the design side.

SP

--------------------------------
Steve Peters
Founder, No Mimes Media
http://www.nomimes.com
mobile: 818.422.4898
steve at nomimes.com
twitter: vpisteve
34.183042,-118.281252

On 8/17/09 3:09 PM, "Nathan Mishler" <nathan at studiocypher.com> wrote:

> I am leery of this for several reasons.

> One of the things we have observed in the playerbase is that players

> gain social presige (and personal pride) when they either solve a

> puzzle outright or participate a little bit in noticing something that

> leads to the solve.

> If a "ghost player" does either of these things, then you are

> rewarding these things to someone who doesn't exist. That's both lame

> and have the potential for a lot of backlash if the players realize

> that "one of them" isn't real, as seen from the recent furor over the

> community member who turned out to be a trailhead in disguise.

> This is of course assuming that your players don't know the person is

> fake. If it's an obvious PM controlled participant in the story

> (confidant to the players) that's a little better. Still, I'd try to

> make it so at least someone real has the opportunity to notice this

> hint and bring it to the players. Don't deprive them, enable them!

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM, O'Donnell, Dean M<dodo at wpi.edu> wrote:

>> As used at ARGFest, it was a term denoting "players" who were actually

>> controlled by the PMs.

>> So if the real players got stuck on a puzzle, the Ghost Player could send a

>> hint as if he just had a brainstorm.

>> Dean

>>> Okay.

>>> Hmm. Define Ghost Players?