[arg_discuss] ARG website copyrights

Markus Montola markus.montola at uta.fi
Fri Sep 19 04:21:31 EDT 2008

Just to provide an update; apparently Microsoft has outsourced these
things to PR agencies. At least the one person I talked with in those
agencies took quite a bit of convincing before she believed that such
property exists and that it might be Microsoft property even. After a
while she pointed me to ask permissions from 42 Entertainment, which I
believe does not own the rights.

So it's good to hear that the fair use can be fair at times.

- Markus Montola

(PS. Our publisher does not care much if we get permissions or not;
their approach is that it's author responsibility to obtain permissions
and they assume we do. They don't want to know if we have such papers or
not -- I believe in case of a problem they just shrug and point to our
direction...)

> While I know publishers are frequently risk-adverse, and laws are different

> from country to country, here in the U.S. you actually have a lot more

> latitude than that (speaking as someone who's also done a lot of content

> publishing over the years.)

> The "Fair Use" exclusion on copyrights has long-standing (and well tested)

> provisions when the excerpts or illustrative examples are being used in

> critique or review. UK has a similar law structure, and in Australia in the

> same rights are contained under the concept "fair dealings exceptions".

> Of course, that's a fuzzy zone ... and getting a release form isn't fuzzy at

> all (but I'm a big advocate of people understanding their fair use rights as

> a content publisher!)

> Actionable advice: consult an attorney, try to get the releases, but argue

> you don't actually need them :)

>>> info. I guess the games people are all about Games for Windows and XBOX

>>> anyway...

>>> So, anyone being able to give a tip here? Or, Elan, you might know more

>>> about who holds The Beast rights? :-)

>>> Best,