[arg_discuss] Question Regarding ARGs

Andrea Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Sun May 25 21:52:04 EDT 2008

Well, there was Perplex City...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perplex_city

Perplex City made fairly spare use of MySpace and Twitter, and no
Facebook at all, as I recall. I'm not sure what you mean by a "full
top-down structure," but most of its narrative happened on an in-game
newspaper site, a few character blogs, and websites for various city
institutions, along with the real-world treasure hunt and other live
events. It was designed from the very beginning as an ARG, and wasn't
promoting anything else; it was a stand-alone entertainment product.

Edoc Laundry and World Without Oil might also fit these criteria of
yours, but I'm afraid I can't quite pin down what those are. Can you
be a little more specific?

(And I'm sure others will soon chime in with their own examples... :)