[arg_discuss] Social Interaction in ARGs

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Tue Jun 24 11:10:16 EDT 2008

Markus, I love the clarity of:

"an ordinary self, a pretended self and a consciousness of their
differences"

That actually seems to be a unifying concept across these other competing
definitions: the arguments are about how far the pretend self has to be from
the ordinary self to count as roleplaying.

Christy, though, I want to go back to one of the definitions you offered:

"creating a novel persona for your character that fits in the context of the
game world and interacting with others through that persona"

I'd argue that "novel" is a pretty high bar to set to qualify. "For your
character" suggests a certain level of roleplaying is already happening,
doesn't it -- because the MMPORG mechanic subtly encourages that by
producing a digital proxy. It also leaves itself fuzzy with the "interacting
with others" because MMPORGs historically can separate human-to-human
interaction into "player/player" with everything else "player/environment".
ARGs don't have such an easy shortcut.

If you took Yee's definition and reworked it, it sounds like Markus'
statement from Lillard:

"creating a persona for yourself that fits in the context of the game world
and interacting with others through that persona"

This to me seems axiomatic, at least in the player-centered definition of
what is an ARG. That's what underscores that Unfiction is an OOG space:
because the rest of the world becomes "the game world". I'd go so far to
argue that if people weren't at least subtly "creating personas" to
"interact with others" it wouldn't be the Internet, which has a culture of
anonymous voyeurism that ARGing (like other community dynamics) actually
manages to overcome in amazing ways.

The lack of roleplaying is the emergent behavior from the interaction of the
system, not the roleplaying.