[arg_discuss] Insights on Majestic

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Mon Jan 21 09:35:39 EST 2008

In reality, though, when you dig into the numbers, I think all those little
failures pale before the real failure.

They spent $20M developing it over 2 years.

Therefore, when it "only" brought in $150,000 a month, it was a "failure"
because that $1.8M a year in subscription fees couldn't keep up with the
expense of producing it.

The producer in me thinks the problem isn't the $150K a month (I think I
could figure out how to keep an audience happy with that budget), it is the
high price tag of the production.

Meanwhile, though, no subscription ARG has gotten anywhere close to this
level of failure -- they've neither spent nor made this much.

Brian