[arg_discuss] Personal Influences/Antecedents

Hugh Davies marcus.helm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 23:46:24 EST 2008

I recon my biggest influences are the things that led me to ARG's in the
first place such as Orsen Welles, War of the Worlds radio play. Not that I
was around when it was first broadcast, but its a big thrill to listen to
and imagine families huddled around their refrigerator sized wooden radios
speculating whether aliens were invading.

Lots of artists too including JSG Boggs who beautifully hand draws 10 dollar
notes, and the like and then spends it. He then gives his receipt from the
transaction to art collectors who must track down these counterfeit works.

Also Sophie Calle whose relational aesthetics and works on love I think
beautiful and am always banging on about to whoever will listen.

Likewise work by TIm Etchells and Blast Theory had a big influence.
And I have to say Blair Witch was up there too.

hugh