[arg_discuss] Personal Influences/Antecedents

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Wed Jan 16 00:15:52 EST 2008

Caught up in tons of work and neglected my own question! I'm working
on a more in-depth answer, but the b-movie producer William Castle is
a hero of mine. Those of you who lack the appreciation for kitsch that
I have might know him as the producer of the Roman Polanski film
ROSEMARY'S BABY, but in his day he was known as the "King of Gimmicks."

Gimmick is an unfortunate word, however, as much of what he did was
bridge the gap between the safety of the silver screen and the
audiences lives. His most famous invention was PERCEPTO for his
Vincent Price film THE TINGLER. The Tingler was a worm that burrowed
into your spine and would kill you. The only way to kill the worm was
to scream as loud as you can.

During the film, the Tingler crawls into a movie theater and then the
screen goes dark. An announcer is heard:

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Tingler has entered this theater! SCREAM,
SCREAM FOR YOUR LIVES!"

The seats were wired with PERCEPTO, which administered small electric
shocks to your bottom. He didn't just break the third wall, but turned
his movie into a physically immersive experience.

He also experimented with interactivity. He shot two endings for his
film MR. SARDONICUS and before the final reel the audience would vote,
by holding up a cardboard glow in the dark thumb, whether to spare the
main character or kill him. The projectionist would play whichever
reel the audience voted for. There are rumors Castle never filmed the
ending were Sardonicus lives, banking on audiences' blood thirst.

This is really just a small sampling of the things he did. On another
film, he actually insured audiences for 1 million dollars against
death by fright (through Lloyds of London). He dressed ushers up as
doctors and outside each cinema he parked an ambulance to create the
feeling that his movie could actually frighten you to death.

Many producers relied on gimmicks in the 50's, but Castle's shows
always seemed to break down some barrier -- they were more intrinsic
to the experience of the film in ways that other gimmicks were not.
John Water's used "Oderama" - scratch and sniff cards - with his film
Polyester as a tribute to Castle, but Waters' gimmick didn't have that
same dangerous edge that was a Castle hallmark.

His amazing autobiography, Step Right Up, I'm Gonna Scare The Pants
Off America, is sadly out of print and goes for stupid amounts of
money on eBay.

Best,

Michael Monello
Partner, Campfire