[arg_discuss] ARGs/Interactive Fiction

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Wed Jan 9 00:00:30 EST 2008

I agree wholeheartedly.

I think it's much more interesting to have players make moral
decisions or to guide characters through moral/ethical/narrative
problems than to put up some kind of puzzle or code, and I think it
makes for a much more interesting narrative.

Best,

Mike

On Jan 8, 2008, at 11:47 PM, Jason Chrest wrote:

> One of the arguments I have heard throughout is where is the game

> without puzzles? To me a puzzle doesn't have to be something quite

> as obvious as a cipher of some sort or some hex coding we see all

> the time from smaller games. Successfull games should have some

> sort of puzzle in the story, something that naturally fits into the

> story and evolves with it.

> I agree that they should not hinder from the process of the game,

> but for players there is a rewarding feeling when solving a puzzle.

> Video games are successful because they let the players have the

> individual sense of being the hero or heroine of the story being

> told. ARGs present a unique challenge because the typically have a

> community built to partake in the game. MMORPGs have similar

> communities in them and are quite successful, but you still get the

> feeling that you are a hero or can become one. With ARGs it is

> difficult to allow the plauers to have that personal experiance

> since the MMORPGs have various personal quests and those same quests

> would be compared to a live event in an ARG. We can't possibly have

> live events for everyone (guys like me in the middle of no where

> will often get left out). I don't know if this is a solveable

> problem for developers, but it's something we can definately try to

> work around.

> Jason Chrest

> Aporia Cross-Media Entertainment

> www.aporiacme.com

> jason at aporiacme.com

>>> the

>>> next state, what would stop the first team communicating the

>>> solution

>>> to someone in the next team, and that second team then finding the

>>> game boring? Most of team two wouldn't want to cheat - but the

>>> communal nature of ARGs means that only one would have to.

>>> Having individual play trajectories seems to imply having individual

>>> challenges. Which in turn suggests that the knowledge-based puzzles

>>> that are the staple of ARGs would have to be minimized in favour of

>>> skill-based challenges.

>>> Using TV metaphors another option would be the soap-opera - designed

>>> to be very easy to drop into at any stage, with the corresponding

>>> inability to build coherent dramatic story arcs.

>>> I dunno... even the clan idea feels a little too conservative to

>>> me...

>>> Ian.