[arg_discuss] is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Mike Cox mikeyj.cox at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 06:42:27 EST 2008

Hiya Patrick,

A number of other players and I interviewed Michael Smith after Mind Cany
abandoned plans for season 2 of Perplex City (though looking for it now that
podcast has gone AWOL along with Perplexorum closing its doors
http://tinyurl.com/2pk6v9 I'll see if I can track it down again, I think
there was some interesting information in that) and the model for season 2
was something that was discussed. They were to change the model so that the
cards stood slightly more apart from the ARG, the backs of cards had
backstory for the ARG, but weren't directly embedded into the game as was
the case with a number of the season 1 cards. The revenues for funding the
ARG would instead come from advertising within the game world, companies
could advertise their products and services in Perplex City. The problem
seemed to be that whilst Mind Candy was regularly approached to make bespoke
ARGs for companies, convincing them to pay to advertise their brand within
another brand was tricky. I remember seeing ads for the BBC on the in game
newspaper's site, though as they were also involved in Frozen Indigo Angel
that's not quite the same.

Also of relevance to recent discussions, season 2 was designed to consist of
short, replayable episodes which would have been a nice test of that
structure.

Mike

1. Re: is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

--
http://smallstaff.blogspot.com/

mobile: (44)(0) 7814 338065
office: (44)(0) 151 795 4576 / Lab. 4580
fax: (44)(0) 151 795 4410