[arg_discuss] Interactive story-telling via podcast

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Fri Feb 22 12:23:01 EST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Christy Dena wrote:

> But as for interactive video technologies, the one that has got me

> excited

> is the 360 camera video, where you can scroll around entire scenes:

> http://www.immersivemedia.com/. 360 scrolling around scenes created

> with

> stills has been around for a while, but this video approach really

> opens up

> interesting filmmaking possibilities. They're calling it "spherical

> storytelling"...

This has been around for some time, but I'm guessing smaller cameras
and better video quality have made it more accessible. I can't recall
the filmmaker or the name of her short, but I saw a film shot in this
style at the Florida Film Festival. All I remember is that it was set
in a hospital, and the filmmaker controlled the movement of the camera
live for the audience in the theater, which was obviously not the best
outlet for such a personally interactive form!

Personally, I don't see the value in it as a filmmaker. Two of the
most powerful tools in filmmaking are composition and editing and this
eliminates those, and yet the interactivity is passive -- the viewer
cannot affect the narrative, only what they are looking at in any
particular moment.

I definitely see the opportunities for ARGs and other cross media
projects, but not as a stand-alone channel.

Best,

Michael Monello
Campfire
62 White Street, 3W