[arg_discuss] Interactive story-telling via podcast

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Fri Feb 22 19:15:19 EST 2008

What I like about it is the challenge of creating a short film with stories
that are taking place in all/some of the points of view at once, while
you're moving through a space. I think it would be fun to choreograph such
an event...the challenge of an incamera split screen ala Figgis's TimeCode
etc...but also creating some diegetic or metaphoric reason for the 360
approach...and also, if it works, having cues in the vignettes that the
characters continue in different media too.

This doesn't eliminate composition & editing.

The challenge (to me) is being able to compose an entire 360 environment,
choreograph the action so there is a single linear story the user can follow
with the action cues & their mouse, but also other vignettes that elaborate
or even better contradict the primary narrative. And as for editing. The
challenge is not being able to use editing. There have been plenty of
amazing long takes in filmmaking.

Filmmaking (indeed any artform) is limited by imagination not
convention...you know that!

[NB: It's really freaky, I had planned to post about Disney's 'Magic
Connection' tests & De Palma's split screen films this weekend and 2
conversations on this list has touched on it. Weird]