[arg_discuss] Play Testing an ARG?

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Wed Feb 13 10:57:54 EST 2008

You can test all your technology and your puzzles, but mechanics get
to be tricky. Traditional games are essentially "locked" out of the
box -- if there is a bug in the design, the console cannot correct for
it. Traditional games are boxed in by their worlds -- once you get to
the ocean in GTA, you aren't going any further no matter what your
desires, while ARGs have no barriers to what choices people can make,
so it's impossible to test certain aspects of your game.

With an ARG, the production team has to shift and move and address
problems on the fly, often without the audience even knowing there was
one.

Best,

Michael Monello
Campfire