[arg_discuss] How frequently do players interact with ARGs?

Andrea Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 11:44:52 EST 2008

Don't worry, Alex, you made it through OK. I think the problem is that
the data you're looking for doesn't exist so far.

I confess I'm a little puzzled about approaching design that way,
because I disagree with your point 2. When I think design, I do it
with the assumption that if players are actively engaged in the
experience, they'll divert free time that might have gone to watching
TV or sleeping or exercising or hanging out at the mall, as opposed to
just reallocating their hour a day of internet time. And also... this
may be a gross misconception on my part, but I don't think the
demographic of people who check their email once a week are going to
be the right audience for our species of cross-media experience.
Though when we reach them, you'll know we've made it as a genre, yes?

--
Andrea Phillips
andrhia at gmail.com
http://www.deusexmachinatio.com