[arg_discuss] Open Source ARGs

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Fri Aug 1 09:51:23 EDT 2008

>It seems clear by now that the single biggest audience-limiting aspect of

>most ARGs is the inapproachability that stems from their complicated and

>multi-tiered systems of obfuscation.

I'm not sure that I agree with that, Mark, or maybe my goal isn't to have
everyone involved interactively in the same way. I'd argue the "classical
ARG" design limitation is the same as the "classical MMPORG" design
limitation:

How do you provide the constant stimulation that the "heavy user" population
wants without closing the door of progress on the more "casual user"
population?

I'm not trying to diminish your point, though: I think many ARGs suffer that
overcomplexity, or an inability to layer that back out into
understandability.

>A large majority of people who have any initial contact with an ARG

>stop "playing" before long because they are unable to grasp what is

>going on, what they should pay attention to, what is a good use of

>their time, and so on.

I'd argue instead that the large majority of people who have any initial
contact with an ARG never start "playing" it. There is a role of spectators
among the audience of the genre.

>The once-popular notion that ARGs are popular BECAUSE they are so hard

>to follow has by now surely been set aside as untrue, and yet still

>most ARGs today are in need or more clarity and less confusion.

I'm not sure that was ever a popular notion: I've never for a second
believed that "hard to follow" was what made ARGs popular. Or is your test
for player that they understand every wrinkle?

Brian