[arg_discuss] Introductions

marc mcginley marc at thedigitaldemons.com
Sun Sep 16 10:15:32 EDT 2007

Right. I've been lurking far too long, so I think it's about time I made
myself known.

I'm Marc, a 21 year old Multimedia Technology and Design student from
Brunel University. Some of you may recognise me as mac_monkey on
Unfiction and Perplexorum (Where I like to get my hands dirty to keep
things running). Recently I helped organise Perplexorum's 1st Birthday
Puzzle trail, paying homage to an ARG from the past, every day.

As part of my dissertation, I have to design and create a piece of
unique, inspirational multimedia. I'll be researching into areas that
ARGs have not yet taken, and my final project will be to design and
create a game which will be totally different to anything seen before.
If I'm brave enough, I might even run the game instead of just
demonstrating how it'll work.

I'm very interested in the definition of an ARG. In fact, I'll hold my
hands up and say that I hate the acronym 'ARG' (does that make me
evil?). I personally think that one of the reasons that the genre has
taken so long to build momentum is it's definition. It's inaccessible
and it doesn't relate to what an ARG actually is.

I'm interested to discuss ideas people may have for new game elements.
I'm very keen to look into some cool new directions for ARGs (*shudder*)
please contact me at marc at thedigitaldemons.com if you'd like to discuss
anything. I find that new ideas are often brought about by finding out
what doesn't work and why, so I'd also be keen to hear from some
puppetmasters about things which are taken for granted in an ARG, that
sometimes don't work at all.

Thanks,

Marc