[arg_discuss] Positive reinforcement: is puzzle and plot success enough?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Sun Sep 16 09:25:03 EDT 2007

Positive reinforcement, in any situation, is a good thing. When a player
solves a puzzle, the expectation is that something will happen: either
they'll find more of the mystery, push the story forward, or find
another puzzle. Some will internalize this as "I did it!", others will
want to say "EVERYONE! /I/ did it!" For some, the joy of accomplishment
is increased by the back-patting and awe from the other players.

Is this enough? Most would say yes, and the current environment agrees.

I talk about this a bit in another post on 60 Blank White Cards, using
the Xbox 360 achievement system as an example. JohnEvans mentioned in
the chat last night that when a video game comes out on multiple
systems, he'll pick it up on the 360 /because/ of the achievements.

http://www.60bwc.com/s1/entry/inspired-xbox-360-achievements

Besides 60 Blank White Cards, Eric Harshbarger's Alice Is Lost!(.com) is
also offering a points system, but one which rewards early (or only)
solvers with more points. Mind Candy and Perplex City had planned to do
this, but the players argued against it.

http://aliceislost.com/faq.html#enter_solutions
http://aliceislost.com/faq.html#dynamic_scoring

--
Morbus Iff ( strive for mediocrity )