[arg_discuss] What's the G stand for?

Andrea Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 17:11:46 EDT 2007

On 10/3/07, John Evans <btradish at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >The use of the term "game" in ARG also implies there needs to be some kind

> >of puzzle to solve. Doesn't it? Or is the word "game" meant imply

> >interaction between the players and designers?

> I would say the latter. I think it would be cool if there was an ARG

> featuring just character interaction instead of puzzles. That would skew it

> more towards roleplaying than current ARGs are. (Would that make it not an

> ARG? I keep thinking of the story that I Love Bees "didn't have puzzles

I'm inclined to say the game part means, not a puzzle or a mystery to
solve, but an action to perform. That action might be guessing a
password or finding a new website, or assembling a narrative, or
answering a payphone; what the action is doesn't matter, just that
there is an action. The audience isn't hanging around passively for
the next chapter or act.

Inter-ACTION! See?!

...Sorry, it's been a long day and I have blisters on my feet. I'll go
back to making pasta sauce now...

--
Andrea Phillips
andrhia at gmail.com