[arg_discuss] Value of ARGs to clients

Evan Jones evan at mysteryjones.com
Mon Nov 12 11:26:15 EST 2007

Hey Marc,

I'd have to agree with Dan - the costs are really a product of the
project's scope (how many staff, how many exploding cars, etc) instead
of its reach (really a product of its creative).

I just wanted to jump in on your last point. I'm not sure if Dan's
point was that large companies 'don't really care' about impact - its
just that they understand that there are other ways to measure success.
Since you referenced Coca-Cola directly, I wanted to point you to Sergio
Zyman's book 'The End of Marketing As We Know It" (links below). He was
the Chief Marketing Officer as Coca-Cola for years (including the
dreaded New Coke era) and has one basic message in his book: you can
measure everything.

Dan's point may be correct - there isn't a direct method of tracking an
ARG's impact to sales (unless you do something crazy like put unique ID
codes on puzzle cards or something). But in the marketing industry
there is a direct correlation to end sales from each part of the
campaign. Rest asssured - Microsoft knows approximately how many sales
will be driven by each part of their HALO release. They've done
billboards and tv ads before and seen their effects and are getting
close to an equation - one ad during the Superbowl equals this many
millions of end sales. Since an ARG is new for them, they need to take
a bit of a leap of faith at first but there is a way to measure it - add
up the predicted effect of all other media. If the end result is higher
than the prediction, then the ARG must be the marketing iniative driving
this. It may sound like a little hocus pocus at first but if the CMO of
Coke is preaching it... :)

Just a little something to stir up the discussion,
Evan Jones
Stitch Media

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Zyman