[arg_discuss] Nine Inch Nails ARG

Alex Jarvis adrenjarvi at gmail.com
Wed May 23 09:01:03 EDT 2007

Mike- You may have hit on something there, a very interesting idea. People
voraciously absorb these ARG's because they want to be part of something....
at what point might they be willing to actually learn materials (The chain
reactions, as your example, or perhaps a famous piece of literature) and
apply them, thereby created the Edu-ARG? I am a bit of a nerd for
educational games- call it a membership to the games education SIG and a
hatred for math blaster :p. If it can make people buy product, can it make
people learn?

Danke,

Alex

On 5/23/07, Michael Cox <mikeyj.cox at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a big (and no longer ashamed of it - despite being a big hairy bloke,

> rather than a waif-like, hippy nymphette) fan of Tori Amos. The

> characters

> and their blogs are truly integrated with the album and with the tour,

> which

> is great. The posts have provoked quite a number of comments, all

> directed

> to the character rather than Tori, and some respondents have even been

> composing poetry for them. The feel of the experience is a little like

> World Without Oil in that respect, but more passive as the characters

> aren't

> actively soliciting contributions.

> Thinking of myself, it would be great if I could create a character that

> desperately needed to be taught the ins and outs of the polymerase chain

> reaction or really needed (it's life or death) 30 essays on the molecular

> ecology of dimethyl sulfide biogeochemistry and actually receive them.

> Somehow, I think I'm going to have to be cleverer than that.

> And as someone on the ground at Frozen indigo Angel, the music got in the

> way! There's me trying to save the world and phoning the guys online and

> couldn't hear them because Jamie T was strumming away. He wouldn't turn

> the

> music down. Rude of him really. It was a cool venue though, and I

> finally

> got to see The Gossip.

> Plus Adrian, you're being modest, there was an entire album produced for

> season 1 of Perplex City ;)

> Mike

> > Message: 1

> > Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:13:30 +0200

> > From: "eva nieuwdorp" <eva.nieuwdorp at gmail.com>

> > Subject: Re: [arg_discuss] Nine Inch Nails ARG

> > To: "Discussion list of the IGDA ARG SIG" <arg_discuss at igda.org>

> > <4acb42c80705210913y51d1ce3al81cf60e1c0867e23 at mail.gmail.com>

> > citation:

> > <Also, I nearly ruined a great pair of pants upon seeing the color

> change>

> > They got me too...quite a hoot and a half.

> > It's a cool concept to tie in games with music...I am looking into the

> > possibility of writing a paper on the subject. Anyone know of any

> previous

> > cases like this (I heard Beck was looking into it at one point too, and

> > Tori

> > Amos is also expanding her work into a more transmedial realm)?

> > Any leads gladly appreciated!

> > Cheers,

> > Eva

Alex Jarvis