[arg_discuss] Academic Research format for Whitepaper

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Mon Mar 12 07:26:58 EDT 2007

Hello All,

I look forward to hearing about the ARG Fest (though I have been listening
to the podcasts and looking at the photos online).

I just wanted to email a thought to the list re the section I wrote for the
whitepaper: ARGs & Academia:

http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/Alternate_Reality_Games_SIG/Whitepaper/AR
Gs_and_Academia

I have had two types of feedback on this section:

a) from academics: fantastic!

b) From non-academics: I haven't read it, it is too long.

It seems that either (b) people are being polite, didn't bother reading it
because they didn't think it would add to their understanding of ARGs or
didn't find it accessible. I want to redress the latter. I want developers
to find the research helpful. I tried to make it accessible but I think I
could go a lot further. It was an experiment that can obviously improve. So,
I was thinking, in light of the successful approach by Ian Bogost and Jane
McGonigal @ GDC with their Game Studies Download, I'm thinking that this
approach would work better. For those not aware of what they do, they
provide a quick sample of the top findings of game studies, as skewed
towards developers. A summary of this years presentation is here at Raph
Kosters' site:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2007/03/09/gdc-07-game-studies-download/

And the actual presentation is here:

http://www.avantgame.com/top10.htm

I think this model may work better. Any thoughts?

Best,

Christy

Blog @ www.cross-mediaentertainment.com
<http://www.cross-mediaentertainment.com/>