[arg_discuss] [pm] Commercial vs. Grassroots, Player or PM?

Andrea Phillips andrea at mindcandydesign.com
Fri Mar 31 22:21:17 EST 2006

> On Mar 31, 2006, at 6:51 PM, Brooke Thompson wrote:
> I do not think that all professional games are about selling a
> product,
> instead, it's about building an awareness. Often times, it appears
> to me,
> that the target audience is not even the players. It's the 'buzz'
> or the
> 'award potential'.

I'm snipping all sorts of worthy further exposition here, but I think
this is the heart of it. I can see your point, Brooke, but I do think
it's splitting hairs, to be honest. Just because the immediate goal
of a marketing campaign is to change a brand perception or create
buzz doesn't mean it's not marketing, and certainly doesn't mean that
nobody cares if you ultimately buy anything. It just means it's
*clever* marketing. At the end of the day, the point is still to get
more viewers/move more product/what have you, even if there's no part
that tells you "Buy a Whizmo Lite today!"

I think a lot of pro designers would protest heartily about this,
because I gravely doubt it's what anyone has in mind while actually
designing a game; but it's still there, and the players know it.

I wonder whether heartfelt discussions on good marketing, bad
marketing, Seth Godin &c. is on topic for this list or not. I suspect
it just might be...

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.perplexcity.com