[arg_discuss] Puppetmaster Mentoring

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Sat Mar 18 18:27:55 EST 2006

Well, it's been stagnating as work has gotten the better of me, but
something like this could go along with or replace the ARGitect.com
redesign. It's working on a drupal back end which might be perfect for this.

Essentially, I was going to have a group blog system where various people
looking at ARG development issues could each have a blog. By design, each
blog is attached to a specific user and their page, but the blog entries can
be promoted to the front page and/or hidden from other users/user
groups/etc. However, I have not gotten very far with that as a little
project or two came along at the same time and took my attention away from
it. However, it shouldn't be difficult to implement rather quickly, esp if
someone's actually doing some work on it. There is also a group attached to
the site that was working on a "beginner's guide" of sorts (a static
"training game", glossary, brief history, links to resources, etc). The hope
was to provide a resource for those interested in ARGs but not familiar with
the terminology used by the unfiction player base and/or some of the
possibilities of the genre. That, of course, was similar enough to the needs
of new players that have found the unfiction/argn community but are
completely lost and overwhelmed, that it just seemed right to make it a bit
more all-encompassing. However, that's also stalled as work has gotten in
the way (*curses big-boss-men who may or may not be reading this*)

I can add forums, either the drupal module or a phpbb with no difficulty
whatsoever. The module is already on the site, it's just not enabled and the
phpbb is a one-click install on dreamhost. The benefit to the drupal module
is that it would be searchable and well integrated into the primary site,
the downside is that the forums aren't the best and a phpbb might allow for
greater privacy.

The point is, the resources are already all up on a rather appropriate
domain name (argitect.com) and if someone has the time now to help put it
all in one pretty little piece and a couple others have the desire to help
administer, it could be ready to go whenever. I'm completely flexible with
what I have in my head as the ideal site for ARGitect and would willingly
work with other people's thoughts and inspirations. The only thing that is
rather important to me is the "beginner's guide" as I feel it could be a
handy resource. Though, if that runs counter to the ideas of a grassroots
support site, I'd gladly host the guide on mirlandano or some other site. If
it can wait a bit, my projects are going to be winding down shortly and, as
nothing else has fallen into my lap, I'll probably have a couple weeks off
sometime this spring.