[arg_discuss] Defining ARG's and the marketing effect

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Tue Jul 18 09:35:50 EDT 2006

>However, outside what we each do as companies and individuals, you have
>to choose *a* single name for events, lectures - and even this SIG - and
>whatever name you choose people will be unhappy.

I think I was commenting more on Mike's reflection that:

>As the ARG community works to define what is or is not an ARG, ...

Not so much the label that is in question, it is a pondering of how narrow
or broad the definition of that label becomes. Some labels (like open
standards) are structural. Some labels (like MMOG) are conceptual. Some
labels (like Westerns) are stylistic.

Sometimes the SIG takes a structural label approach (the lack of this
feature or that means it is "not an ARG"). Sometimes the SIG takes a
stylistic label approach (the mix of these particular kinds of features and
experiences qualify as an ARG).

An ARG by any other name would smell as sweet, but how would you compare it
to a summer's day?

Brian