[arg_discuss] Defining ARG's and the marketing effect

Adam Martin adam at mindcandydesign.com
Tue Jul 18 07:50:10 EDT 2006

Brian Clark wrote:

> I totally agree with your core point, though. Interesting question for the
> group: how many of us are sitting around thinking more about the limits of
> these definitions than the cores? Personally, I'm starting to find whether

I dropped by the Blast Theory offices at the conference (they're just up
the road, and I was with a friend who had to call in there) and tried to
persuade Matt to come along to the ARG sessions. My impression was that
he wanted to avoid things with the name "ARG" on it, feeling that the
term misrepresents what they do and what they aim to do. Fair enough - I
think this is an issue for a lot of us.

However, outside what we each do as companies and individuals, you have
to choose *a* single name for events, lectures - and even this SIG - and
whatever name you choose people will be unhappy. What tends to most
important about such names isn't their accuracy but their currency with
the outside world - the extent to which they are recognisable on sight,
attract people's interest, and are already in common usage.

For instance, I remember many attempts to derail the "MMOG" term to
describe the MMOG industry, and ultimately almost none of the
professionals were happy with the term - although none could agree on
any replacement. In the end, that term had already picked up substantial
recognition from the playing public in the 1990's, and so it was the
best name to move ahead under, even for the many of us who felt it
unfairly limited and proscribed what we (didn't actually) do.

So, to a certain extent, these days I just shrug and accept that whilst
names themselves are very important and getting them right or wrong has
a big effect on what you do, generic and collective names are rarely
that accurate despite how hard you try to improve them :).

For instance, I've often found it an easy opening for a conversation or
elevator pitch to launch into "we're an 'MMOG company' but what we make
aren't MMOG's" - IMHO if someone knows the term, you have an easy way to
show your USP. If they don't, you get to describe the general term
briefly, but focus their attention on what you do (the listener is a
blank slate).

--
Adam Martin
CTO, Mind Candy Ltd