[arg_discuss] Defining ARG's and the marketing effect

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Tue Jul 18 07:30:25 EDT 2006

>That's very strange to me coming from a film background,
>where the experimentation and boundary pushing comes from the indie
>filmmakers rather than the commercial side.

Seems less strange to me, Mike, but that's because new media has been "build
a better mousetrap" land for a decade. When the Internets are doing their
harmonic best, that experimentation is independent of whether it is art,
commerce, marketing, what have you.

I totally agree with your core point, though. Interesting question for the
group: how many of us are sitting around thinking more about the limits of
these definitions than the cores? Personally, I'm starting to find whether
or not something would even be accepted as an ARG as a good indicator of
something interesting to try.

Consigned to "ARGish" exile? ;)

Brian