[arg_discuss] [players] Communities and resources

Adrian Hon adrian at mssv.net
Sat Apr 8 22:08:45 EDT 2006

On 8 Apr 2006, at 08:15, despain at quantumcontent.com wrote:

> So I'll ask. Would you let someone from ARGN have a sneak peek at
> your next project? If so, at what point? Days before launch? After
> launch,
> while it's still in the early days?
>
> In other industries, it's easy to find out what projects are coming
> down
> the line. Reporters can go to their press contacts and get the
> backstage
> access they need. Does the ARG developers community need to start
> inviting
> people in for sneak peeks?

I'm sure it would have a potential for good, but let's face it - most
ARG developers are really only going to help if they think they'll
get a good write-up. Just buy a computer game magazine now and look
in the preview section - there's nary a negative preview out there.
Let's just say that this limits their usefulness, not just to players
but also inevitably to developers.

I would rather have ARGN (or anyone else) conduct *critical* reviews
of games, perhaps a couple of weeks or a month in. Unfortunately this
will annoy the hell out of pretty much everyone involved in ARGs,
which is probably why it hasn't happened yet.

Adrian

--
Adrian Hon - mssv.net
Executive Producer and Director of Play, Mind Candy