[arg_discuss] Talkin' about UF (was: Communities and resources)

Michael Monello mike at haxan.com
Tue Apr 4 13:38:30 EDT 2006

Splitting this off to a new thread, as there are so many different
threads already happening in the original post.

And sorry for the disorganized nature of this post -- most of it was
actually written while on a conference call.

First, I love UnFiction. I think it is an amazing community and the
passion they exhibit, the way they self organize, is wonderful.
Everyone I've been in direct communication from UF has been
incredibly smart, open, and genuinely enjoyable people. I'd like to
eventually work with most of them on projects as they have brilliant
ideas.

But, I'm going to talk about UF the community, not the individuals --
the large mass of audience, and the particular "hive mind" that
powers UF, recognizing that many in the community don't always (or
even ever) agree with that "hive mind." Nevertheless, UF most
definitely has a community personality, and just as we might have
trouble stepping outside our families to view them with an objective
eye, I will argue that active members of UF or those who identify
themselves as members will also have trouble stepping out from behind
that self-identification to see what others can see (i.e. newbies).

And I will argue that PM's see another side of the community hidden
from themselves and newbies. It's "Rashômon."

What I find problematic with UF is the idea that they represent a
community of people who simply love "ARGs." Some of them do, of
course, and all of them like to play ARG's, obviously, but I think we
are already seeing where the UF community's tastes lie and they do
have certain tastes within the great big world of ARGs.

Has anyone ever come across a community of people who simply claim
they just "love music?" Of course not -- you have communities for
people who are indie rockers, jazz fans, classical hounds, metal
heads, etc.

But because ARGs are essentially a young art form, we have UnFiction,
which stakes it's claim to simply loving ARGs. And in general they
do, but when they try to define an ARG, they tend to define it in
relation only to their own tastes and experiences.

Where that becomes an issue for the ARG community at large is when
those outside the ARG community look at UF and imagine it speaks for
all ARG's rather than say a specific style of ARG. What happens is
the UF community's tastes become scene as the dominant form.

If all you knew about music was from reading Pitchforkmedia, well
then you would know an awful lot about a very broad range of music
that can all be fit within one basic genre -- indie rock. You would
no nothing of classical, jazz, country, etc.

Now, ARGs are obviously a much younger art form, which makes the UF
influence that much stronger (and thus worthy of looking at from all
angles).

The community at Unfiction was borne out of The Beast, so it's
natural that the majority of the community would gravitate to that
style of game. In fact, if you look at the community's idea of the
history of ARG's they would even define the beginning as stemming
from "The Beast" not because it was the first, but because it was
THEIR first ARG.

The reality is that [EGO ALERT  ;) ] Blair Witch Project had all the
elements we commonly refer to as an ARG, but because the phrase
wasn't coined at the time, and the UF community didn't form out of
the BW community, it is called into question. Here is some of what BW
had when it was live:

1. Fractured interactive narrative with a central mystery for the
audience to work through, presented in what we now call an ARG format.
2. "Real time" presentation of the story online, which changed and
grew based on audience reactions and responses.
3. Hidden journal pages, "Heather's Journal" that players
collaborated to find and piece together, revealing more of the story.
4 A massively huge community that built out the world and took the
story in directions we never anticipated.

I would say the difference between Blair Witch and AotH is that BW
took place on a much larger scale, and so the game element FELT like
it was in the background because it was overshadowed by the book, the
comics, the tv special, all the hype, and of course the film itself.

But here is an even bigger difference -- the community that
surrounded BW (which is world-wide, still active and still quite
large), probably would not identify themselves as "gamers" even
though they actively and passionately played the game.

And there lies the potential direction for the future of ARGs, in my
opinion -- there are much larger audiences to create for and play to
than Unfiction, but it will require designers looking at the projects
way outside what the UF community prefers or even wants. It requires
designers to actively decide to engage an audience that's not
necessarily already formed, with its own set of tastes.

If I want to play Jazz, I'm not going to go on a tour of punk rock
clubs and play to those audiences, but I'm going to try and find
where my audience is and go get them to listen. When I want to play
punk rock, I'm going to go to the punk clubs.

The danger is in trying to play jazz that appeals to the punk rockers
-- more than likely you will create something unsatisfying for both
audiences.

Best,

Mike