[arg_discuss] [players] Communities and resources

Michael Monello mike at haxan.com
Sat Apr 8 21:04:02 EDT 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 3:15 AM, despain at quantumcontent.com wrote:
> So I'll ask. Would you let someone from ARGN have a sneak peek at
> your next project? If so, at what point? Days before launch? After
> launch,
> while it's still in the early days?
>
> In other industries, it's easy to find out what projects are coming
> down
> the line. Reporters can go to their press contacts and get the
> backstage
> access they need. Does the ARG developers community need to start
> inviting
> people in for sneak peeks?

Absolutely, I would! Perhaps it's my experience in marketing movies
for so many years, but I found that previews, or what we might call
"feature stories" are often the best kind of publicity you can get.
If I had a conversation with the editor and writer of ARGN and was
assured that no plot secrets would be written about in advance I
would open the doors and let them in early.

For example, in Audi I think it would have been amazing to have a
feature story come out in advance giving players a sense of what was
to come -- perhaps letting players know that there were X number of
live events in cities across the country, that players would have the
opportunity to go on missions with the characters, a little hint as
to the story and the types of interactions that would happen, etc. My
gut says that would have helped a lot of people who would have liked
the game to jump in from the start, and might have clued off those
who might not like it from starting. In the end, I don't want
everyone playing the game, I just want everyone who would like the
game to be playing it.

I'm sure one of the knowledgeable ARGN writers would have been able
to uncover a great story about the game without giving away major
spoilers, and those who want to go in blind don't have to read the
story.

Best,

Mike