[arg_discuss] re: quoting posts

adam adam at mindcandydesign.com
Sat Apr 8 11:18:41 EDT 2006

despain at quantumcontent.com wrote:

> Speaking of coming back in a month's time to re-read stuff - is this list
> being archived? I think I'd rather it wasn't. I know I can't stop people

Copied from the signup page
(http://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/arg_discuss):

"To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the
ARG_Discuss Archives (http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/arg_discuss/)."

 > being archived? I think I'd rather it wasn't. I know I can't stop people

Continuing as an open (no prior ARG experience required), inclusive (no
IGDA membership required), group I feel we have the best chance of
achieving the SIG's aims: "To bring together a wide spectrum of experts
in the state-of-the-art of the ARG genre, and to facilitate the sharing
of their knowledge and promotion of ARG's to mainstream games developers".

A more closed structure might fulfil the first half of that sentence,
but would fail severely on the second half.

For instance, it would severely reduce the value of this list as a
resource (for mainstream developers and newcomers to the genre) if
people who came to it later in the day were excluded from all the
discussion, ideas, commentary, etc that had gone before.

AIUI, the mailing list is not indexed by Google (I'm not sure why not;
this may need looking into) et al at the moment, but in the long term
that is likely to be a primary means of newcomers discovering the SIG
and then getting involved.

> Especially considering how thorough some players can be with the
> "background checks."

I'm not sure what you're getting at here; is there something in
particular we should be worried about?

Adam