[arg_discuss] RE: [pm] Scalability

Michael Monello mike at haxan.com
Sat Dec 17 16:50:46 EST 2005

> On Dec 16, 2005, at 8:19 PM, Andrea Phillips wrote:
>>
>> Huh. I wasn't aware of the background check, though I can see the
>> sense in it. Can you elaborate on what kind of check it was? Did
>> anyone actually, well, flunk it? :)

I guess I forgot to elaborate. The background checks were conducted
by a law firm. Potential participants had to provide us with specific
information, including name, address, place of work, phone number,
etc., as well as a fax of their driver's license or birth certificate.

That information was used to conduct a background check, which was
mostly focused on legal activity -- arrests, lawsuits, etc.

Because time was tight, there was a tendency to try and reject anyone
with anything controversial. There was one issue where someone with a
common name came up clean in their area but someone with the same
name in another state had quite a record so they wanted to reject the
person and I made them go back and investigate further. Other than
that and a couple people who you might call "lead foot" the checks
never really brought up anything dark.

People were informed the information they were providing was going to
be used for a background check, so everyone had an opportunity to bow
out gracefully.

Best,

Mike