[arg_discuss] [meta] Introductions

Michael Monello mike at haxan.com
Mon Dec 12 23:33:10 EST 2005

Andrea Phillips wrote:
> So who are you guys?

Thanks for inviting me to participate!

I come from more of a film background than game or tech. In 1998 I
formed Haxan Films with some fellow film school grads and we made The
Blair Witch Project. Following that, we created a hybrid web/tv show
called Freakylinks for Fox. While the TV show was bastardized from
the original concept (losing much of the links to the web world,
alas), the website kept its integrity for the entire year it was
live. We have an archive of the Freakylinks site here: http://
www.haxan.com/portfolio.html

Following that we created a large web narrative for a comedy, which
ultimately fell apart due to a broken down relationship between us
and the distributor. Of that world, Reemco remains online (http://
www.reemco.com).

While doing all that we were also occasionally directing TV
commercials, and ultimately those two worlds merged with the Beta-7
narrative campaign we did for Sega/ESPN (http://www.beta-7.com). When
Beta-7 cleaned up at major advertising awards shows, we started
getting more interest from clients and agencies for more. While all
of the previous work had very ARG elements to them (real-time
interaction, audience affects the story, community based, maintained
a sense of 'reality' in the presentation, etc), our next campaign was
actually a game for Sharp called "Legend of the Sacred Urns." About
halfway through the first month of launch, someone posted a link to
ARGN and that's when we discovered what we were doing was an ARG and
we found the Unfiction community.

Our next campaign was Audi's Art of the Heist, which wrapped in June
of this year and pushed us into more live interactions than we had
done in the past. Art of the Heist was just named Campaign of the
Year in the December issue of Creativity Magazine, so there will
(hopefully) be more heat on ARG's in 2006.

During the Sharp campaign, we formed a new company, Campfire,
explicitly to develop, design, and produce interactive, community
based campaigns (including ARG's) for advertisers and clients, as
well as develop independent content.

The advertising/marketing community is waking up to the concepts of
collaborative media and community, so it's a great time to organize
ourselves. I look forward to meeting you all and sharing information,
both electronically and in person. Thanks to Adam, Evan, and Andrea
for all your work in getting this SIG going!

Best,

Mike