[Coco] How was the Fest?

johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
Wed May 8 23:02:17 EDT 2024

Allen,

The people are amazing.
I had many questions answered.
I learned about the CoCo Deluxe.
I noticed that most people I talked to had not seen the website. What are we
doing wrong?
I talked about using telephone modems without a dial tone, dialing, and
ringing.
I talked about how to solder.
I talked about how to remove flux. Why remove flux? And If to remove flux.
I got on CoCo Discord and talked about Chicago and the CoCoFEST! I likely
posted 50 or more things on CoCo Discord in 3 days.
I took 3 card loads to the CoCoFEST! and only brought back one trunk load.
My wife is very happy with me.

-----

I learned about the 2 MB MMU on the Cloud-9 Protector+. Will this work with
DMA?
I was told that if I wrote a program that made good use of the 512 kB RAM
that was interesting to people and could be expanded to 8 MB then the
hardware people would be willing to make and sell an 8 MB board.
The software people say if we had the hardware then we would wright the
software.
The hardware people say if we had the software then we would make the
hardware.
VCC has emulated 8 MB already and it is not used for much that I know of.
So, give me your ideas of what we would use 8 MB for.
I would like to use 512 kB of RAM to make four 128 kB CoCo 3's.
Only one CoCo 3 would be active at a time and all the others would be paused
in suspended animation.
CoCo 3 #1 would be used to write code.
CoCo 3 #2 would be used to get help on a programming language.
CoCo 3 #3 would be used as an ASCII terminal.
CoCo 3 #4 would be used to compile and test the code.

And with more RAM we could add some more.
CoCo 3 #5 could be a spreadsheet with graphs.
CoCo 3 #6 could be a game.
CoCo 3 #7 could run Forth.
CoCo 3 #8 could be a calendar.
CoCo 3 #9 could be a notes taking app.

If this works, then we can see about 2 MB or 8 MB using an emulator.

-----

-John Mark Mobley