[Coco] Looking for testers

coco at jechar.ca coco at jechar.ca
Mon Jun 24 11:51:17 EDT 2024

On 2024-06-21 12:20, Lee via Coco wrote:
> I've been working on a proof of concept for the idea of bringing the
> DOS
> game Cloud Kingdoms to the CoCo 3 off and on for around 3 years.  It's
> still very much a proof of concept, and has high hardware requirements:
> CoCo 3, 6309 processor, at least 2Meg of memory, and the means to
> access a
> .DSK floppy disk image on the CoCo 3.  If you meet these hardware
> requirements and would like to do a quick test for me, jump over to
> https://gitlab.com/cocodev/lee/tilescroll3 and read the README.  I've
> seen
> it work on an '86 and '87 NTSC GIME, but have not tested it on a PAL
> CoCo
> 3.  I suspect the timing will be off on PALs.  I already know there are
> problems with it not working on any of the emulators (xroar comes the
> closest) or on the GIME-X.  If you try it out, please let me know the
> results, either here on the mailing list, or over on the CoCo Discord
> (@Leep).  Thanks! 😀

I tested your program under several hardware configurations and had
planed to
send the results to you via Discord but I could not find either (@Leep)
or @leeperk
on Discord so My report follows I do not think the coco list allows
attachments
so I will just paste the report file into this communication which will
probably MURDER it's format I will be quite happy to send the original
file via Discord
  if you contact me @cc4spacenprog

REPORT FOLLOWS ==============================

  Beta Testing Results

  Test #1 of tileScroll3
  Tested by charlie < coco at jechar.ca >
  @cc4spacenprog

  for Lee Perkins
  @leeperk
  https://gitlab.com/cocodev/lee

  Download tileScroll.dsk from
https://gitlab.com/cocodev/lee/tilescroll3/-/tree/master/build?ref_type=heads
  onto the Pi2 I use as a DriveWire Server.

  I have a Coco 3 with a 2Meg DISTO memory upgrade and a SuperIDE with a
2G CF Card
  I find that my drives 229 and 231 on my CF card are free so
  I backup my CF card drive 0 to Drive 229 and then
  I use the RS DOS program WIRED 1.0 to backup tileScroll.dsk to Drive
231
  I then backup CF Drive 231 to CF Drive 0

  Then DRIVE 0
  Then I RUN"GIME
  The results are
      COUNT 5261
      1986 GIME 60 HZ 263 SCANLINES

  Then at the OK prompt
      LOAD"T
      RUN 1
  The program works as expected.

  I then after restarting the coco I restore my original drive 0 with

      BACKUP 229 TO 0

  Then I check to see if the prrogram is drive agnostic by

      DRIVE 231
      LOAD"T
      RUN 1
  The program again works as expected.

  Then on the Pi2 I Copy tileScroll.dsk to the TEST directory on a SD
card
  and rename it to TSCROLL.DSK for comparability with CoCoSDC.

  I turn off My CoCo and replace the SuperIDE drive with a CoCoSDC and
Floppy Disk Controler in a MultipackMini.

  I make a floppy disk from the disk image.

  I shutdown again and try out the program from floppy disk

  My DISTO Supercontroler Floppy Disk Controller has Three ROM's

  First I select DISK EXTENDED COLOR BASIC 2.1 again the tile scroll
program works as expected.
  Second I select COCO3 ADOS V1.2 again the tile scroll program works as
expected.

  Finally I test the HDB-DOS 1.1D DW3 COCO3 ROM and again the tile scroll
program works as expected
  with both a real floppy disk and with the remote drivewire conection
with tileScroll.dsk mounted
  as drivewire disk 0.

  Note My Drivewire connection is Serial through a bit-banger to db9 and
serial to usb connector.

  With the

  Once more I shutdown My CoCo and this time put the CoCoSDC in the
cartridge slot.

  On startup I see my SDC is
  "SDC-DOS 1.6 cc3"
  At the OK The procedure I follow is

      EXP

  to start the file explorer where I navigate to the TEST directory and
then ENTER to choose that directory
  I then arrow down to the TSCROLL.DSK and right arrow to it's directory

      [ESC]  then I press the red escape/break key
      DRIVE 0
      LOAD"T
      RUN 1

  again the tile scroll program works as expected.

  So in conclusion very good with all my hardware atached to my DISTO 2MB
Coco3.
  I look forward to testing future features
  I will continue follow this test procedure so future reports will
require less description.