[Coco] Big Security Issue

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat May 27 10:43:47 EDT 2023

On 5/27/23 09:55, Patrick Ulland via Coco wrote:
> It seems many folks have this backwards. There is nothing wrong with a
> zip file. The problem is 'smart browsers'. The example was an existing
> site you know and trust includes the text 'never run 42.zip, yadda...'
> That is now a valid URL, some future browser update will autoconvert
> that text into a link the author  never intended to be there. Google has
> also added .mov and .foo to gather in more innocent sites. Is there a
> troll in the house?

Yes, google.  Use ddg aka duckduckgo. The only way to discourage
google's vacuum cleaner for your private data is to quit using it.
Ditto for m$'s bing. That hits them in the pocketbook. And its the only
language universally understood.

TANSTAAFL folks.  Its a law you can't break even if you wanted to.