[Coco] Big Security Issue

Patrick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Sat May 27 09:54:55 EDT 2023

It seems many folks have this backwards. There is nothing wrong with a
zip file. The problem is 'smart browsers'. The example was an existing
site you know and trust includes the text 'never run 42.zip, yadda...'
That is now a valid URL, some future browser update will autoconvert
that text into a link the author  never intended to be there. Google has
also added .mov and .foo to gather in more innocent sites. Is there a
troll in the house?

If you are in control of your connection,  David has the fix. Blackhole,
son. The only sites on these new domains will be boutique, or scammers.
Mostly scammers.

You can always check the link - hover over, rt click, something will
popup the actual URL. If based on a known website, all is well:
https://computerarchive.com/Disks/Utilities/Coco.zip. If the link was
just text before, it is now a standalone website, helpfully (and
invisibly) autocompleted to    https://CoCo.zip. Any random can register
that domain.