[Coco] MC4517 DRAM questions

Patrick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 08:39:54 EDT 2023

CPU only designs usually use static RAM to avoid this problem. Early
video systems like CoCo got clever – video generation already involves
scanning rows and cols in a timely manner, so the SAM, GIME,
VIC(ducking)  handles that and the CPU gets a free ride. PCs went with a
dedicated memory controller aka ‘North Bridge’ which has since been
assimilated by ‘the motherboard chip’.

Handling refresh by yourself is going to be exactly that. The ZX80 and
ZX81 are the only CPU driven DRAM examples I can think of.

You need a book, not an email. This intro helps:
https://user.eng.umd.edu/~blj/talks/DRAM-Tutorial-isca2002.pdf